MTwo “Chevice” springs arise from the Szechenyi mountain, on the western side of the Parad valley, it got in circulation under the name “Paradi water”. Paradsasvar thanks its reputation to these springs, as well as to the glass factory that built by the Orczy family, which is still in operation today. Until 1905, the factory only made medical glasses and bottles needed for the marketing of the Paradi curative water.
As it often happens with curative waters, animals found the Paradi water sooner than humans. The shepherds, that had their animals grazing on surrounding fields, noticed that their animals left the springs found on the fields, and hurried to the one or two different springs. The shepherds tried this water too, and the csevice's fame slowly spread. The Hungarian medical world received knowledge about the Paradi curative waters quite late, during the end of the XVII century. Bel Matyas, a science professor, mentioned the sulphurous sour waters even n 1735. The real discovery of the Paradi curative waters was in 1763 when Markhot Ferenc, Heves county's medical officer, made a detailed written report about them. The first chemical analysis of the waters was done by Dr, Kitaibel Pal in 1789, then in 1827 prof. Meissner did a more accurate examination of the springs. The Parad hydrogen sulphate sour water is the product of volcanic after-effects.
The Csevice I spring, which got its blue label of Parád sulphurous waters from ELPAK Co.-is located on the property of the two bottling plants. A pump-room was built above the spring in 1827 and next to it a bathhouse was built. In 1881 alot had changed in the neighborhood; the old building of the spa was demolished and was replaced by a Renaissance-style chateau in the middle of a large park of the Karolyi family. It was built according to plans by Miklós Ybl. The castle was named Sasvár "from which the town received its current name. In 1892, two bottling areas were also built according to plans by Miklós Ybl. The bottling of the mineral-water currently takes place in this area, which previously also served as a pump room.
Sulfur is the main component: its presence in larger quantities is clear from its rotten egg scent and from the burning of its shape. It is found in the form of air, which also shows that the result of keeping a sulfur pot outdoors or by heating it, it flies away. However, the sulfur smell doesn't rise up like in many of our sulfur rich thermal waters such as Pőstény, Harkány, Nagyvárad. According to chemical breakdown, it contains about as much as Szobráncz, which surpasses the sulfur content of the ones we named above.
Given its quantity and effect, free carbonic acid is a secondary component, which is included in remarkable amounts. It is in close relation with the strongest sour waters, from our well know sour waters, the free carbonic acid content of rohitsi, Borszéki, Sulina, Balatonfüred and Bardejov is stronger than the cheviczes. Free carbonic acid, however, is more strongly bound to water. As with the ones mentioned, how is it demonstrated that by adding a wry it won't cause a great effervescence, but together with its sour taste it is more preserved in the Cseviczében. Even fifteen minutes later the pearl like blisters were bouncing up to the sides of the glass, and they formed in large amounts because of the disturbance of the water. These claims can be proved by experience; csevicze was kept in a dry and cool place, it retained its power even after years.
Long ago there was mountain oil in greater volume than now. Kietaibel, talks about this as the main component, and characterizes it by its apparent smell in the water. Meiszner clearly limits it it to components which are highlighted with chemical breakdown and doesn't mention this. It isn't in such large scale currently in the csevicze waters that it would be noticeable by its smell. The after smell of the burp after drinking is what simply may suggest that it is likely to originate from the mountain oil. The smell is only aur and the water is free of carbonic acid because of the warm temperature, and its suphorous parts are removed.
Earthy acids are found in the Csevicze as can bee seen from the periodic table, and the three high-impact salts are – household salt, glauber salt, and carbonated – which acquired the world-famous names of Karoly and mária baths, but in much smaller amounts.
The world-known cold sulfur sour water cannot be found outside of Parad. The Királyfalvi – in Hont is closest from the waters, but it is much warmer than - 15 ° S and has much less free carbon dioxide - 20 Kub - such as sour sulfuous sour water.
The parad water was first know as "Parád stinking water" and often it is still not clear for everyone how the two different types of water got into circulation under the names of Parad sulphorous curative water and Parad mineral water.
The blue labeled Parad sulphorous water has been used for over two hundred years for the treatments of different digestive illnesses. In the more than a thousand page work edited and mostly written by Dr. Schulhof Odod in 1957, the Parad Sulphurous water is introduced in the chapter of alkaline waters. Schulhof writes that for a long time it was debated whether alkaline curative water increases or decreases the separation of gastric fluid. After thorough analysis, it was determined that the increase or reduction of the gastric fluid separation depends upon if the water is consumed on empty stomach or during meal. When consumed two hours before meal, the alkaline curative water decreases the separation of gastric fluid, when consumed with food, it increases it. So alkaline water is good for acid hypertrophy as we well acid deficient gastric and intestinal problems, depending on whether we consume it before, during, or after meals.
It helps digestion and prevents bloating. Parad Sulphorous curative water is a quite effective complementary treatment for chronic gastritis complaints, such as stomach pain, feeling of pressure, loss of appetite, feeling of fullness, and malaise. Its mucolytic effect starts immediately as it gets into the stomach. (The Paradfurdo state hospital is a main consumer of the curative water.)
Consumed together with wine, it prevents hangover, or when hangover occurs, it eases the unpleasant stomach symptoms associated with it. It has a positive effect on chronic respiratory cattarh because of its mucolytic expoctrant effect. As a result of the curative water, secretion selection increases in the bronchial, so its consumption is recommended for chronic bronchitis caused by smoking. Because of its diuretic effect it plays an important role in preventing kidney stone and in cleaning the renal pelvis and urinary tracks.
Through sulphorous drinking diet, sulfur settles in joint cartilages, and this is the reason why it has a positive impact in the treatment of locomotor diseases. The curative water also plays an important role in the treatment of gallbladder disorders. Fifteen minutes after its consumption, the gallbladder contracts; the cleaning of the gallbladder is part of the treatment of cholestatis. For the desired effect, it is worthy to sip a glass of body temperature curative water on empty stomach.
The green labeled Parad mineral water is from the Csevice II spring that is found in the garden of the castle. At the end of the XIX century, Prohoda gardener was regulating the Vadakorma spring next to the castle; when he exploded a dynamite and found the csevice. Its chemical and fisical properties matched that of the csevice I spring. At this place, Papp karoly geologist professor dug further, then he tried to drill. According to his report, when the miocene reached the conglomerate, sweet water flooded from its side and could not be blocked even when concrete was put over it or with the building of a 3 meter stoneware pipe. This water got the Csevice II name later. The well that was developed n 1903, was the property of the Karoly estate, and was only occasionally used for local consumption. After World War II, in the interest of increasing the marketing of the Csevice I water, the possibility of bottling the Csevice II water arose. The production was started in 1957, also under the name of Parad curative water, even though previous opinions suggested that the property of the water changes through the course of the operation „it changes and it loses its unique sulfurous property”. In 1969, the operation business decided that because of excuses of its quality, that from 1970- the spring water will be bottled as enriched Parad carbonated mineral water. The daily discharge of the water is limited, that is why the sodium calcium hydro-carbonated water is so valuable. It is rich in salts, trace elements, and next to extinguishing thirst, it also mineralizes, or rather, fills the body with minerals.
It is very suitable for the the quick compensation of salt loss. Since the curative water is rich not only in calcium but in micro elements that help build it into the body (fluor, etc), d, it helps the development of bones and teeth during adolescence, and prevents their decay during pregnancy and older age.
During meals, by sipping it, it reduces acid deficient gastric and intestinal problems.
The bottling of the Parad curative and mineral water still takes place in the bottling space designed by Ybl Miklos in 1892, but the plants have grown out of the space. The current owner, ELPAK RT., realized this and started building a new plant and office in the neighboring land in 1999. The new plant is in accordance with today's requirements and has modern equipment. The old, monument building will be restored to its original condition to serve as a pump room, gift shop, and museum.
Literature: Dr. Dobos Irma: A Parádi Ásványvíz
Magyarország Vármegyéi és Városai, Heves Vármegye, Budapest 1909, „Parád gyógyfürdő” c. fejezet
Hevesvármegyei Ismertető és Adattár, Budapest 1936, „Parád” c. fejezet ???, ???? év, Parádsasvár